Friday, 6 January 2012

The first day of my new life

U2's It's a beautiful day rings out in my head, as I walk the dogs through the crisp, green fields early on a January morning. There are red skies in the east, clear skies above.

There are crows squawking overhead, pheasants calling in the copse below and the old cock is crowing to awaken his harem.

This is the first day of my new life of semi-retirement. I go back home to feed the birds, the dogs and two cats. And then, what to do? Warm in front of the Aga, make the porridge for breakfast and take Mrs Grigg - who ought to be up studying but is still in bed - a cup of hot water with lemon, ginger and honey. Perhaps I'll just sit and read the paper, relax and let the day unfold.

But no. Christmas trees and lights in the square to take down, post office at ten, meeting with Mr Putter at 10.30 to discuss plans to save our shop,  a meeting at two with the carpenter, a meeting at 4.15 with brothers and financial adviser and then a comedy show in the village hall at 7.30. Same old busy day. Still, tomorrow is Saturday.

And then, trying to log on to my computer banking system, I can't read the numbers on the security fob. Is it a low battery? The numbers appear incomplete. I try to get in several times by making a guess. And then Mrs Grigg says: ' You're reading it upside down.'

It's called getting old.

6 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere Mr Grigg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the world of blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome Mr. Grigg ! Can't wait to see the view from your side of the window.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When retired time flew by and I often wondered how I found the time to work !

    ReplyDelete